Friday, October 5, 2012

Recipe :: Got Muscle? Your Post Workout Protein Smoothie

source

I love me a good smoothie.  A portable meal in a cup.  It doesn’t replace a good ol’ Saturday Morning breakfast of Biscuits and Gravy (I felt the need to capitalize Biscuit & Gravy because they’re dear friends of our family!)  But I just feel lighter when I “replace” a meal with a smoothie. 

And after a workout you NEED protein to feed your muscles.  Liquid nutrients are easier for your body to absorb and use within about 30 minutes after exercise.  Think of it like this:  Movement (ie exercise) wakes up your muscles and protein builds lean muscles.  So, if your muscles are awakened by exercise, a liquid protein drink feeds the muscle to build more lean muscle.  (And who doesn’t want more lean muscle???….)

Awhile back, when I began keeping a food journal and counting calories, I realized how UNHEALTHY my “light” smoothies truly were.  They were full of fruit (which is a good thing nutritionally because you need a bunch of fruit/vegetable servings every day) but not a super thing calorically.  Plus, fruit, alone, isn’t gonna keep your tummy happy for very long.  Some smoothies can have over 400 calories PER SERVING!!  (and that 24 oz sippy straw cup we’re using is about 3 servings!)  Good golly Miss Molly!!!!!

One of my favorite HEALTHY smoothie recipes is:

1/2 c frozen blueberries
1/2 c PLAIN low fat or fat free yogurt (most health food junkies would say Greek yogurt but with the additional protein powder, regular is fine and less expensive)
2 c baby spinach
1 scoop protein powder (I’m using Designer Whey right now)
water (enough to make everything blend well.  I usually use about 1/2-1 c)

Nutritional Info:  211 calories, 27g protein, 5g fiber, 210mg sodium, 3g fat, 20g carbs

Feel free to substitute another kind of fruit or veggie for the blueberries or spinach.  We typically go with whatever is in the fridge or freezer.  My girls LOVE frozen bananas in theirs because it makes the smoothie more of a milk shake consistency.  The Handsome Husband adds peanut butter and rolled oats to his.  Just be mindful of the serving size of additional ingredients, especially with higher fat/calorie foods like peanut butter or sugar sweetened yogurt.  Those will bump up the nutritional info for your smoothie.

The Gracious Pantry has some REALLY great smoothie recipes!  AND, the nutritional information is figured for you (if you’re tracking that kind of thing?)

Happy Smoothie Day :: Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've love to hear from ya...